Sir John Lavery
‘Their Majesties the King and Queen with Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and Princess Mary’ (‘The Royal Family at Buckingham Palace, 1913’).
The mezzotint was produced ‘By command of H.M. the King’, after Sir John Lavery’s painting, now in the National Portrait Gallery, Londonandpublished by Thomas Agnew on 1 December 1914, in an edition of 500 copies sold at 10 gns.
Second Study for the King, the Queen, the Prince of Wales, the Princess Mary, Buckingham Palace (1913)
By courtesy of and © Felix Rosenstiel’s Widow and Son Ltd., London, on behalf of the Estate of Sir John Lavery
Lavery’s earlier sketch, ‘the Second Study’, was presented by the artist to the Ulster Museum, Belfast. It shows the members of the group in different positions. The changes were decided on as a result of advice from Richard Smythe, and approved by the King, as were the slight colour changes made in the mezzotint to Princess Mary’s dress.